Tuesday

Ice Storm of 2007

Winter has decided to slam into us again this year. It's funny because every 4 to 5 years we seem to get hit with a major ice storm! The last one was in November of 2002. During that particular storm we were without electricity for 10 days. It was truly a hard thing to go through.

Luckily, this time is no where near as bad! There are only a couple of similarities this time, the sound of the tree limbs snapping and the off and on flashing of transformers blowing up in the middle of the night. I have to admit as scary as it is to see, it is quite beautiful! The sky lights up with a brilliant blue and then you hear a surge in the power, everything flickers and either you lose your lights or they come back on. You just never know...

This year, I have managed to keep my electricity. I have heard it is because we are on the same circuits as the fire station next door so I am very thankful. Although this morning we kept losing the power and we lost our phone for about 5 hours. My sister and my parents aren't more than 2 minutes from me and they have been without power since 5:30 this morning. They have all decided to check into hotels for the night. I am extremely thankful for not having that expense. I offered to let them crash here but they want their privacy and I cannot blame them.

Tonight is supposed to be another brief round of the stuff. It has been raining all day long and it should be freezing so there should be quite a bit of ice come tomorrow morning. So driving to work tomorrow should be loads of fun!

Well I am off, but I will leave you with this poem I found and some pictures I took off of my balcony this afternoon! I love the way the ice looks on the trees... You would never guess something so peaceful and beautiful could be so deadly...

An ice storm in the night
Reveals in morning light
A dazzling, wintry sight
Of frozen droplets bright

That cling to shrubs and trees
And glisten where they freeze –
A sight that’s sure to please
The one who looks and sees.

Still others will complain
About the freezing rain;
Indeed it is a bane
And something of a pain

For those who slip and slide
And wobble side to side
Or cannot get a ride –
Their patience can be tried!



But soon it will be past;
The thaw will come in fast.
The ice just cannot last.

~By Mary T. Hoffman

Have a fantastic Week Everyone!

10 comments:

Scarlett said...

Absolutely beautiful!

I'm glad to hear that you still have your electricity and are safe and warm.

Be careful in the ice...

Deech said...

The pics are nice. Its amazing that no one has thought to put the cables underground? Things that make ya go HMMMMMM....

Flyinfox_SATX

The Lone Beader® said...

Everyone is having ice storms! We got nuttin'... LOL

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

Just as you already know, I am from Texas and if they were to see even a glimmer of ice on the ground or even a few snow flakes in the air they just about shut the entire city of Austin down.....It has surely been an experience that I must and will learn to live with for many years to come...

BTW, Those pics were well taken my dear and I wish I would have had a camera with me when I went to Manhattan, Kansas earlier today. The sun was reflecting off of all the icey trees and it was spectacular, absolutely beautiful...

Anyway, time for beddy time...

See ya there...

Ole Blue The Heretic said...

I miss snow. Wonderful pics!

Nigel St.John Regina Smegmatica Howle-Raines said...

Stay warm and not too much sliding around--at least outside!

doctor chip said...

HO HO HO!

Merry Christmas, Chalice!

great pics!

yup.

B-D

-----

Aunt Jackie said...

Make for gorgeous photos, although I hate to see the trees suffer.

I wish we could at least get some snow... Memphis is a cursed place.

:(

Hope the holidays have been happy...

Scarlett said...

Happy New Year Chalice...be safe!

The Lone Beader® said...

Just stoppin by to listen to some Dracula music. LOL!