Wednesday

Voyeur.... Via the Flickering Light Box

voy·eur - (voi-yûr') - n.

  1. A person who derives sexual gratification from observing the naked bodies or sexual acts of others, especially from a secret vantage point.
  2. An obsessive observer of sordid or sensational subjects.
I am a voyeur. Yes, I have said it. Yes, I can admit it. I am a Voyeur.

Now with the admittance that I am indeed a Voyeur, I must make sure to emphasize that I am an Obsessive Observer of sordid or sensational subjects and not one who derives sexual gratification from basically being a peeping-tom.

To sum it up, I like to observe people around me at all times. I can be driving in my car and if I pass someone or they pass me, I will take a look at them. Sometimes in stores, I will just stop for a moment and take a look at someone ahead of me.

But my big thing is reality TV. How sad is that? Yet again this year, I am been suckered in by the show 'Big Brother' but this year it is a little more involved. You see Showtime has apparently teamed up with CBS and for 3 hours each and every night you get to watch the house guests live and uncut. And I CAN'T STAY AWAY!!!

I wish I could explain why but I can't other than to say watching how certain personalities attempt to mesh inside the house is sheer entertainment. I take bets with myself as to who is going to lose their mind first. I yell at certain contestants on the show as if they can somehow silently hear my warning to take heed. It truly is sad...

It makes me wonder what I would do if trapped inside a place like that. Could I actually live in a house with a ton of people I have never met for 3 months? Could I stay there and remain sane knowing I will have absolutely no contact with the outside world? No TV. No Radio. No Newspaper. No Phone Calls. No Internet. Not to mention NO PRIVACY!!! There are hundreds of camera's in that house. Even in the bathroom and the shower. And I forgot to mention the microphones. Every single conversation is recorded and heard.

Could I Do It???

Probably not. And I say that because I would absolutely could not go without having my privacy. I could probably deal with living with a ton of strangers for 3 months, especially knowing there is the prospect of receiving $500,000. But the lack of alone time would get me.

Whenever I am upset about something or I don't feel good, I simply want to be left alone. Don't touch me. Don't screw with me. Just leave me the fuck alone until I am ready to become social again.

And it is for those reasons that I am drawn to this show. I want to know will they react to something the way I would? Will they fight or surrender? Will they break down and cry or throw the biggest temper-tantrum you have ever seen?

The idea of watching people is an old one. Everyone, for the most part, wants to observe the actions of others. We can't help ourselves. Does this make us bad? No. Actually, my personal opinion is quite the contrary. In some ways its even a good thing. When we observe the negative behavior of others it tends to make us think of ourselves and how we would handle ourselves in similar situations. We get to see how everyone deals with their negativity and decide if we want to ever be looked at in the same light. Definitely not a bad thing right???

The only thing that makes it bad is simply this. Sometimes, it takes observing the bad to realize that we shouldn't do something.

I guess this brings up morality. And all I want to say about morality is this. Everyone has a set of morals. No one's is the same. We will never entirely agree with the things people around us do but that is what makes us unique. We have that right. If you don't like something you see, then turn away because that does not mean everyone else shares your opinion and just because you do not like something does not give you the right to make that person stop whatever it is they are doing just to make you happy.

Remember, morality means to conform to a specific set of rules of conduct that are considered right and just by the majority. UGH..........

You see how all of this comes together????

I thought so.....

So now that I have gone on a tangent that I truly did not expect to do, let me say this again.

I am a Voyeur and I like it.... I have morals and scruples too but I am a Voyeur via the Flickering Light Box aka.... The Television...

7 comments:

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

HA! I can just see those lil' gears of yours turnin'.....How cool is that...?

Have a great day dear....!!!

Blu

Chase said...

We all are V's. We see, observe, take in.

Scary.

The Lone Beader® said...

True... we all do it...

And, can U believe I don't watch TV at all?? :0

Sirdar said...

I don't watch Big Brother. In fact I don't watch many of those "reality" shows. I don't mind Amazing Race as it does take in reality of being in a different country. Survivor? Made up too much. But that just might be me. Hey...if you enjoy watching...I'm happy for you.

Aunt Jackie said...

Very interesting post... I like "people watching" too, but I never got into stuff like "Big Brother". Those shows get on my nerves.

I am exactly like you when it comes to "leave me the fuck alone until I am ready to be social again"... (things just seem to get on my nerves alot lately).

As far as morals and stuff, I have them, I just don't know where they hide alot of the time!! :)

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

You are just so strange. And I can't stand reality TV.. not those Big Brother shows and stuff like that. I can't help it, I know they are all acting up because they know the cameras are on. And because they're being told to do so.

And I am the voyeur! :)

Cindi said...

Big Brother is my guilty pleasure. I've been watching that show every season that it's been on. I have always liked people watching too, so maybe that is why it appeals to me...I don't know.

I don't have Showtime so I can't see those "after dark" shows nor do I have the live feeds (although I'm embarrassed to admit that some years ago I signed up for the live feeds on the 'net for Big Brother 2). I've been wondering if those watching the after dark shows on Showtime are getting a different perspective on these people.

Btw, I sure hope they boot out that self absorbed Jen soon and Jessika is annoying me to no end.