Monday

Define 'Cool'

When I was in school I can honestly say I never ever gave a shit whether I was popular or not. I was one of those kids who pretty much fit in anywhere with anyone. That's a good thing right? I didn't fall into those group categories. You know what I'm talking about, the preps, the jocks, the stoners, the misguided goth kids or the nerds. The fact of the matter is I knew people from all of those little cliques and many of them were fairly close friends of mine.

Today I was listening to my son talk when he came home from school about all these different kids and what groups they fit into. I found it kind of baffling because I never viewed people this way and I certainly didn't raise him to look at people in categories either. So when I am listening to him talk about how he can't stand this kid because he is a "goth kid" and they are too emotional it got under my skin a little bit.

There is just too much emphasis on being cool these days but what these kids fail to realize is that everyone is cool in their own right to some degree. Just because you are the quarterback of the football team doesn't mean you are going to grow up and make something of yourself.

I have ran into many many many people I attended high school with who were so popular and so well liked. Everyone was so sure they would grow up and be these over-achievers instead of the clerk at my local grocery store. Now don't get me wrong, I am not knocking them because of their job. I am merely trying to prove the point that who you are in high school, whether you be the most popular kid or the least popular, does not automatically dictate who you will be when you get out of school.

When my step-daughter was still living here I cannot tell you how many times she came home crying because someone called her "goth". It was ridiculous. Just hearing her always got me all sorts of riled up. I mean who really cares? I never cared and I think I turned out pretty good.

So what is cool? Does anyone really know?

Personally, I think the only truly cool people on the planet are those who can look at everyone as an individual and not define them by how they dress or who they hang out with. It's all about how you present yourself. It's about being you and not trying to be someone or something that you aren't. That is the message I am now trying hard to convey to my son and right now I think I am sort of losing this battle.

Apparently cool means he needs to be wearing Abercrombie and Fitch. Well the funny thing is I have bought him Abercrombie. However, I bought the clothes at a thrift store and not from going to the actual store itself. I don't see the need to spend $100 on a pair of jeans for my 13 year old. But am I really helping the situation by even buying the clothing with the name on it to begin with no matter what I paid for it??? Good question......

Well whatever the case, I am still going to do my damnest to instill this in my son. He is very cool and always has been. I just see him suddenly worrying about his clothing and his status in the 'social scene' and its bothersome.

***sigh***

I am so glad I am done with school. However, I think if I had the chance to do it all over again, I would.

7 comments:

Sirdar said...

Good that you are giving him that guidance. We don't buy designer anything for our kids. Why? We give them a clothing allowance and they buy their own clothes. It is amazing how their perspective changes when they see what their money can buy. $100 jeans or a couple of pairs and some shirts to go with them. Either way, their butt still gets covered. Keep up the good work :-)

Chase said...

i like the blog
sometimes, and where i am now, not only acceptance is achieved by external factors like A&F and Diesel
it is a way of getting to know yourself, sometimes even be yourself
take care

me said...

We don't buy designer anything for the kids because we're too broke at the moment. LOL Seriously though, my son does the same thing. We had the stoners, the jocks, the preps, etc, but we all kind of blended in together.

Don't blame it on anyone but politics and activists though. They label everything "black, white, homeless, hispanic, rich, poor, middle class, upper class, upper middle class, bla bla bla." They love to put tags on everyone.

Chalice said...

Sirdar.. I try! It's hard being a parent these days. Then again, I am sure they have been saying its hard for many many many moons :) My son does pretty good when it comes to buying him clothing. I always love your perspective on things :) Thank you...

Varsity Jock... Thanks for stopping by! Nicely put! Thank you for the input. I have never had a problem with being myself. It was always just to what degree do I show myself to the world that I pondered.

Lady Aeval... I understand the broke thing! I am there as we speak! That's why the designer stuff came from the thrift store. 3 shirts of 3 dollars :) Can't beat that! It seems like everyone lives by tags anymore even though they swear they are their own person... To bad they don't show it.. Thanks for your words and for stopping by :) Hope to see you again!

DoneCheap DoneRight PC said...

Cool, what's that? I am not that. Are you? Are we? Yep that's what they say. I am really not THAT cool but they always beg to differ...

I wish I had all the answers but unfortunately I do not...Good Luck and Maybe you should just ask the Bum on the corner what COOL is because I have a feeling he actually knows...

Later...

Not-So-Naughty Voyeur said...

I just tell Monkey to be a stoner and he'll always be happy :) AHAHAH! Crap, I'm going to have to home school him when he gets older. I just know it.

Jocelyn said...

Great points--I just blogged about this subject last week, so it's interesting to see your thoughts, too. Now that I've embraced my total lack of cool, life is so very fun.